Friday, March 30, 2007

Out of the hospital

Well, I went and did it. As of Tuesday, I'm down one gallbladder and up four scars. After months of feeling crummy, I had a test last week that indicated abnormally low gallbladder function. There's not much else to be done about it when a good gallbladder goes bad; taking it out really is the only option likely to have any positive effect. As I emerge from a haze of narcotics, I'm noticing that my color is better and the heartburn is down to almost none, amazing since before I had nearly constant heartburn, even on an empty stomach. On the downside, I'm puffy and bloated and sore; and, after five surgeries, my abdomen is starting to look like a soccer field after a pro game.
I've joined a club with many members: cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) is the most common laparoscopic procedure performed in the U.S.
Thanks so much to everybody who's called, visited, offered help or just prayed or thought about me during the past week. I am better because of you!

3 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger -Jennifer said...

Get well soon, Darla! Jeff and I hope your operation will make you feel better!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger CARP said...

Darla,

Welcome to the club! Hope you adjust well.

Scott Carpenter

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Billy said...

Kinda reminds me of taking apart my old bike and putting it back together, then ending up with extra pieces. I apparently didn't need those. I liked to call it "re-engineering".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home