First SD Deer!
I finally was able to make it out during the SD deer season (took a day off before Thanksgiving). I got permission to hunt on some Hutterite land east of Stratford (25 miles from Aberdeen). Saw lots of pheasants at first, but finally located this buck in the middle of a harvested corn field chasing a doe around 11 am. I did a belly crawl/sneak for about a 1/4 mile. The Deer ended up bedding down so I could not see them anymore. When I finally felt I was close enough, I stood up and so did the deer. My first shot hit him in the neck, and the second was a heart shot. The .300 worked like a charm. It was nearly 300 yard to the deer, so I was pretty pleased about that. It was a cold brisk day, but overall it was great for hunting. One of neighboring farmers came over and helped me load the deer into the back of the pickup. Nice guy! Overall a great hunt with one rooster and a nice corn fed whitetail. Will be getting hamburger and sausage made with this one. MMMMmmmmmm. The antlers will be going up in the boys room. They want to use it for a hat rack.


1 Comments:
Nice going Jim!
Great looking buck.
Scott
Post a Comment
<< Home